Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: basic design up

  1. #1
    Regular Coder Ranger56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kent, WA.
    Posts
    783
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    basic design up

    I'm sick and tired of sub par myspace/basic html help sites, so i decided to make my own.

    What do you think of this header?


    UPDATE:: I began working on the site and heres a link.

    spiderseatbabies.bravehost.com
    Last edited by Ranger56; 08-22-2005 at 04:33 AM.

  • #2
    Regular Coder Ranger56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kent, WA.
    Posts
    783
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    no one?

  • #3
    Senior Coder
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    1,788
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 131 Times in 129 Posts
    could possibly look nice once you loose the the bravehost banners.

    aside from that as thats a given...

    some graphical notes:

    1) the drop shadow over the footer is too strong. Esp. compared to the header drop shadow.

    2) I'd try making the shadow on the footer go up instead of down. as if the content was under it like the header is.

    3) the font in the logo is odd. it's a 'techy' 'gaming' font. since your site isn't that does it need to be?

    4) the 'ball thing' icon. I dont get it.

    all in all i think it's workable you just need to addsome 'umph' to it.
    Stop making things so hard on yourself.
    i is tugbucket :: help raise tugburg :: Whitehaven Kiwanis

  • #4
    Regular Coder Ranger56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kent, WA.
    Posts
    783
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harbingerOTV
    could possibly look nice once you loose the the bravehost banners.

    aside from that as thats a given...

    some graphical notes:

    1) the drop shadow over the footer is too strong. Esp. compared to the header drop shadow.

    2) I'd try making the shadow on the footer go up instead of down. as if the content was under it like the header is.

    3) the font in the logo is odd. it's a 'techy' 'gaming' font. since your site isn't that does it need to be?

    4) the 'ball thing' icon. I dont get it.

    all in all i think it's workable you just need to addsome 'umph' to it.
    1. i know
    2. i know
    3. its an html help site.. and all my other fonts 'r teh suxcks'
    4. i had fucn with circles, the fill tool, and erasers.

    any idea for a better logo? becuase im not too good at graphical design.


    The bravehost is jsut so I wasn't wasting that space for no reason.

  • #5
    Senior Coder
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    1,788
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 131 Times in 129 Posts
    well since I have seen what the site is content wise over the last few posts by you I would say have more fun with it.

    I know thats kinds generic but as is it ooks like your sites are being confined by by the box. Break out a little. granted doing so code wise takes a little bit of work but you can fake it visually by the graphics. Have some of the images go past the container. spice it up some. Keep in mind I'm right .5% of the time with a 1.3% curve

    like this thing i'm playing around with:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~harbingerofthevoid/anew/

    nothing great but moves things around a bit.

    Maybe I'm just into the whole breking the space up thing. If I am I'm probally not the best person to give advice. My design is lack. My code is sub-par. my color is well blah. But I do have fun with a layout
    Stop making things so hard on yourself.
    i is tugbucket :: help raise tugburg :: Whitehaven Kiwanis

  • #6
    Regular Coder Ranger56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kent, WA.
    Posts
    783
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think your websites are el fantastico.

    And I totally suck at graphics.
    Last edited by Ranger56; 08-22-2005 at 07:13 AM.

  • #7
    Senior Coder
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    1,788
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 131 Times in 129 Posts
    I more than appreciate your kind words.

    As I'm also new to this i guess my approach is to look as what is happening code wise in pages I like and change them around to suit my needs. I guess I do do a lot more img based stuff, but to me that makes the web 'pretty'.

    From me to you:

    Find out what you want to convey with your site adn doodle it. I don't kow what graphics program you use so it might differ from here on.

    Scan the doodle in. Color it in. slice it up and try and code it.

    Don't think to hard about it when you set out. just scrible some crap down. rough stuff you know. then work from there. Wierd things can happen from doodles
    Stop making things so hard on yourself.
    i is tugbucket :: help raise tugburg :: Whitehaven Kiwanis

  • #8
    Regular Coder Ranger56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kent, WA.
    Posts
    783
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harbingerOTV
    I more than appreciate your kind words.

    As I'm also new to this i guess my approach is to look as what is happening code wise in pages I like and change them around to suit my needs. I guess I do do a lot more img based stuff, but to me that makes the web 'pretty'.

    From me to you:

    Find out what you want to convey with your site adn doodle it. I don't kow what graphics program you use so it might differ from here on.

    Scan the doodle in. Color it in. slice it up and try and code it.

    Don't think to hard about it when you set out. just scrible some crap down. rough stuff you know. then work from there. Wierd things can happen from doodles

    i usually draw people with fangs eating each other...and i use the gimp becuase im 14 and have 0 dollars, and my dad its too lazy to buy photoshop/

  • #9
    Senior Coder
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    1,788
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 131 Times in 129 Posts
    since your page is "spiders eat babies" do some fangs then.

    I have gimp as well. I'd love to give some pointers but I only use it for screen shots now. My ill-fated schooling netted me PS. Since then i haven't done much with gimp. cool little program though.

    I don't know much about the the program but it seems your doing things with it well. Like any peice of software, it's only going to do what you make it do. Granted there are some limitations to everything, but abuse what it can do.

    font wise you can check out dafont.com. A cool selction of freebies. You can play around with them and get some neat effects.

    damn I've used neat twice now. I either dated myself or rehased something I know nothing about.

    Anyways, if your having trouble liking your design, it's reasonable. Thats why I own a domain but have no site. I can whip out somethi9ng in a day or two and look at it the next day and be blah about it.
    Stop making things so hard on yourself.
    i is tugbucket :: help raise tugburg :: Whitehaven Kiwanis

  • #10
    Regular Coder Ranger56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kent, WA.
    Posts
    783
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harbingerOTV
    since your page is "spiders eat babies" do some fangs then.

    I have gimp as well. I'd love to give some pointers but I only use it for screen shots now. My ill-fated schooling netted me PS. Since then i haven't done much with gimp. cool little program though.

    I don't know much about the the program but it seems your doing things with it well. Like any peice of software, it's only going to do what you make it do. Granted there are some limitations to everything, but abuse what it can do.

    font wise you can check out dafont.com. A cool selction of freebies. You can play around with them and get some neat effects.

    damn I've used neat twice now. I either dated myself or rehased something I know nothing about.

    Anyways, if your having trouble liking your design, it's reasonable. Thats why I own a domain but have no site. I can whip out somethi9ng in a day or two and look at it the next day and be blah about it.

    It's just a myspace html sumbdomain, and my fangs end up like this

    Code:
    \/\/\/
    /\ /\\/\
    im fiddling with the idea of designing some neat borders on paper and making it a fixed layout, because i cant use the pen tool for crap

  • #11
    Senior Coder
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    1,788
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 131 Times in 129 Posts
    myspace. Sine it's subdomain and looking at your code I guess your not binded by tier code. I had a mysapce page for a bit just to see if I could chewe up thier code. Yep I could. So I cancelled it.

    If you have access to scanner it's better than trying to draw stuff on the app IMO. You either get way to straght or way to clean with a grphics program,. If you can scan an image in and manipulate it then you get the more 'personal' look (for lack of a better term).

    I really have no advice to give except for my own personal 'credo' [if you will].

    "just keep screwing around and something will come of it."

    I'm off to bed now but if your ever on and want some of my "live" wisdom you can reach me by those cool links on the side under my screen name.
    Stop making things so hard on yourself.
    i is tugbucket :: help raise tugburg :: Whitehaven Kiwanis

  • #12
    Regular Coder Ranger56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kent, WA.
    Posts
    783
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    myspace html helper, becuase all the other ones suck.



    ill draw i guess


  •  

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •