Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Regular Coder cineweekly.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    485
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Back for a new site review! Give me your feedback.

    After lots of new features and changes, I'm back for some more input from you guys about my movie site in general.

    http://www.cineweekly.com/

    Be sure to check various pages and let me know what you would change and what you like. Any other features you'd like to see?

  • #2
    Regular Coder cineweekly.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    485
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Anyone?

  • #3
    Senior Coder
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    High Point, NC
    Posts
    3,338
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 363 Times in 360 Posts
    Still a great looking site.

    On the "A Movie a Week" page, there are a few movies images that are broken? or not available? Is this by default? or a coding error? Either way, I would add a default image to say Image not available or something, instead of that ugly red "X". Makes ppl aware of the fact that you know there was no image for that movie.

    Just one quick observation.
    Teed

  • #4
    Senior Coder
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    High Point, NC
    Posts
    3,338
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 363 Times in 360 Posts
    oops check that. I reloaded the page and the images are there...hmmm Maybe something on my side?
    Teed

  • #5
    The Apostate Apostropartheid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,215
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 265 Times in 263 Posts
    It's lovely.
    Except I think that the white-on-black look is dated. It's been abandoned for a reason. Your text looks so squashed together because of it. I swapped the colours (background #fff, text #222) and it's just so much more readable and...well, nicer.
    Your HRs look a bit odd too, couldn't you replace these with bottom borders?

  • #6
    Regular Coder cineweekly.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    485
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Apostropartheid View Post
    It's lovely.
    Except I think that the white-on-black look is dated. It's been abandoned for a reason. Your text looks so squashed together because of it. I swapped the colours (background #fff, text #222) and it's just so much more readable and...well, nicer.
    Your HRs look a bit odd too, couldn't you replace these with bottom borders?
    I'm not sure why you say white-on-black has been abandoned since there's plenty of popular modern examples available. To me, the site looks cheap when I change to a light scheme. I'll look into the HRs but, again, I don't see anything odd about them. What browser and resolution are you viewing in?

    Geez, teedoff, you've been around since the VERY beginning. Thanks!

  • #7
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    Posts
    38
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    The general idea looks nice to me. However, it also looks cluttered. Making something feel less cluttered, while still keeping all the information is very tough. I'm sure this is something you've struggled with.

    I would suggest dulling almost all the white text, since it's not the headings. I'd make it a shade of gray that's readable, but doesn't stand out as much as the white. After all, the only people reading that text are trying to read it, and the difference in readability won't matter.

    In addition to that, I'd dull all but the most important headings too. There's so much of the orange/yellow color that it becomes noise. Perhaps add a different color? The eye is most drawn to the color you have, but it should only be on the most important headings.

    One other thing that could make it feel less cluttered is if that cool picture slideshow was the whole 606px in the middle instead of the 421 it is now. It's a cool thing, but it gets a little lost with the clutter. The text to the right of the slideshow could be put into a title thing for the same links in the top left. I'd put the little blurb in the about section—you do a good job of making it clear what the site's about initially, so there's not much need for the blurb there. Would be good in the description too.

    As far as the idea and content, I think it's solid. Hope that helps.

  • #8
    The Apostate Apostropartheid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,215
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 265 Times in 263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cineweekly.com View Post
    I'm not sure why you say white-on-black has been abandoned since there's plenty of popular modern examples available. To me, the site looks cheap when I change to a light scheme. I'll look into the HRs but, again, I don't see anything odd about them. What browser and resolution are you viewing in?

    Geez, teedoff, you've been around since the VERY beginning. Thanks!
    Name one. I'm not proposing a light scheme--I like the darkness and general feel--but the main content section is very unreadable with white-on-black.

    They only look odd on a white background, I should have clarified

  • #9
    Regular Coder cineweekly.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    485
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    chrisrozwod - The colors were actually taken from a muted color scheme. The orange actually fades into the background a little too much from the various screens I've viewed it on. I know my parent's monitor wasn't calibrated and set much more vibrant and the oranges and whites were annoying, I wonder if you may have the vibrancy or contrast higher than normal. I say that also because the text is already slightly grey (#F6F6F6). Also, you probably viewed the site when we had a maintenance note which, I agree, made it look more cluttered but it was temporary. Do you still think it looks more cluttered than JoBlo.com for example?

    Apostropartheid - Just search Google, there's TONS of results called "40 Amazing Dark Websites" and variations of that title with date stamps of 2011-12. For argument's sake though, Arrow in the Head (even the same topic as our site) is incredibly popular and uses pure black on light grey (#AAAAAA). Is there any combination of font, color, and line-height that you find readable? If not, I'd say you're just anti-dark theme regardless.

    EDIT: Also, Dark Horizons in keeping with movie-themed and popular websites.
    Last edited by cineweekly.com; 02-29-2012 at 01:56 AM.

  • #10
    The fat guy next door VIPStephan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Halle (Saale), Germany
    Posts
    8,866
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 1,002 Posts
    I find the text a little small, at least on the home page. And the problem with light-on-dark color schemes is that it becomes straining for the eyes if the contrast is too high. Rather than (almost) white I would suggest a light gray text – but just enough that it’s comfortable to read and not too dark. Something around #999 feels alright to me.

  • #11
    Regular Coder cineweekly.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    485
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VIPStephan View Post
    I find the text a little small, at least on the home page. And the problem with light-on-dark color schemes is that it becomes straining for the eyes if the contrast is too high. Rather than (almost) white I would suggest a light gray text – but just enough that it’s comfortable to read and not too dark. Something around #999 feels alright to me.
    The font is 13px which is actually 1px larger than most sites. I felt that 14 was too large when I first started building the site. I hope everyone notes that the background for 98% of the text is #161616 which is pretty grey so the font can't be TOO grey or it will blend in and be hard to read that way.

    I'm also interested in everyone's resolutions and monitor sizes for the readability point.

  • #12
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    Posts
    38
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cineweekly.com View Post
    chrisrozwod - The colors were actually taken from a muted color scheme. The orange actually fades into the background a little too much from the various screens I've viewed it on. I know my parent's monitor wasn't calibrated and set much more vibrant and the oranges and whites were annoying, I wonder if you may have the vibrancy or contrast higher than normal. I say that also because the text is already slightly grey (#F6F6F6). Also, you probably viewed the site when we had a maintenance note which, I agree, made it look more cluttered but it was temporary. Do you still think it looks more cluttered than JoBlo.com for example?
    Yes, it looks more cluttered than the joblo site. There, the images draw the eye first, then the headings. On your site, the images are one of the last things that I can focus on, but it's tough to focus on one thing for any significant period of time, which is why I gave my comments above.

    Tested on two computers and my phone. The orange is still way too distracting. That can be good in small doses, but it becomes noise when used as often as it is in your design.

    The "slightly grey" reads as white, and also ends up as noise. I've tested it, and it can be quite readable until #555555, but I think the best balance of readability and not being distracting is #888888. With that, I think you could make the in text links the slightly grey color, and further pull back the noise.

    There should be more padding on all sides of the main section. That could quickly give some room to each chunk.

    I'm writing because you asked what we would change. I'm trying to give constructive criticism and my reasons for the change.

  • #13
    Regular Coder cineweekly.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    485
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I understand. I just disagree with everything. Thanks though.

  • #14
    The Apostate Apostropartheid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,215
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 265 Times in 263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cineweekly.com View Post
    Apostropartheid - Just search Google, there's TONS of results called "40 Amazing Dark Websites" and variations of that title with date stamps of 2011-12. For argument's sake though, Arrow in the Head (even the same topic as our site) is incredibly popular and uses pure black on light grey (#AAAAAA). Is there any combination of font, color, and line-height that you find readable? If not, I'd say you're just anti-dark theme regardless.

    EDIT: Also, Dark Horizons in keeping with movie-themed and popular websites.
    Both of which are terribly designed. Arrow in the Head is cramped and difficult to read, whilst Dark Horizons barely distinguishes between background and text. Check out the designs of genuinely successful sites in both your sector and globally: all use black-on-white.

    Quote Originally Posted by cineweekly.com View Post
    I understand. I just disagree with everything. Thanks though.
    I suppose you can't argue with that.

  • #15
    Regular Coder cineweekly.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    485
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Apostropartheid View Post
    Both of which are terribly designed. Arrow in the Head is cramped and difficult to read, whilst Dark Horizons barely distinguishes between background and text. Check out the designs of genuinely successful sites in both your sector and globally: all use black-on-white.
    By my "sector" do you mean movie-related or physical region? I'm in the U.S. and both of those examples are movie-related and U.S.-based.

    Both Arrow in the Head and Dark Horizons ARE genuinely successful. Every movie fan has at least heard of both of them at one point or another whether they remember the exact article or not. AitH is a part of the even more popular JoBlo Network. They are on pages 1 and 3 for a Google search for "movie news". If the argument is that they're not well-known sites, that's absurd.

    I think they are harder to read than my site but they're still very much readable. I would never do pure black on pure white.
    Last edited by cineweekly.com; 02-29-2012 at 10:49 PM.


  •  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •