Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
  1. #1
    New Coder
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    80
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    magazine review??

    Hello all,

    I don't know if this appreciated so therefore I ask before I post. I want a magazine reviewed instead of a site. Since this category is website reviews I asking if this will be approved. Thanks.

  • #2
    Master Coder
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,682
    Thanks
    436
    Thanked 890 Times in 879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tfit View Post
    Hello all,

    I don't know if this appreciated so therefore I ask before I post. I want a magazine reviewed instead of a site. Since this category is website reviews I asking if this will be approved. Thanks.
    what's the difference? I mean if is online and not on paper.

    best regards

  • Users who have thanked oesxyl for this post:

    tfit (08-03-2008)

  • #3
    New Coder
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    80
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oesxyl View Post
    what's the difference? I mean if is online and not on paper.

    best regards
    There is no difference, just not sure if it would be appreciated.

  • #4
    Master Coder
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,682
    Thanks
    436
    Thanked 890 Times in 879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tfit View Post
    There is no difference, just not sure if it would be appreciated.
    then just post it,

    regards

  • #5
    New Coder
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    80
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oesxyl View Post
    then just post it,

    regards
    Neh, I couldn't do that . I would waste your time. I thought I could work faster , but unfortunately .... Anyway, It looked promising but in hindsight it isn't beta, it'sn't even in alpha stage!!! So I'm afraid you have to wait just a bit longer and I will post it here

  • #6
    Master Coder
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,682
    Thanks
    436
    Thanked 890 Times in 879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tfit View Post
    Neh, I couldn't do that . I would waste your time. I thought I could work faster , but unfortunately .... Anyway, It looked promising but in hindsight it isn't beta, it'sn't even in alpha stage!!! So I'm afraid you have to wait just a bit longer and I will post it here
    Torture is not allowed on cf, must be a rule somewhere, I guess I could find it.
    If is not a Joomla/Wordpress/Drupal... site can be reviewed.

    In conclusion, post it!
    Add a list with what is work in progress to don't waste critics, I need them for other reviews.

    best regards

  • #7
    New Coder
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    80
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oesxyl View Post
    Torture is not allowed on cf, must be a rule somewhere, I guess I could find it.
    If is not a Joomla/Wordpress/Drupal... site can be reviewed.

    In conclusion, post it!
    Add a list with what is work in progress to don't waste critics, I need them for other reviews.

    best regards
    No, no, it isn't torture. In fact i'm doing you a favour. . Anyway, it still isn't finished, but I need some feedback on the fonts used. I'm a bit stuck. Before I really can move forward I need some confirmation that the fonts used are legible. Ok, I warned you .
    You can see for yourself:
    http://allofunix.homeunix.com:8080/pilot.pdf

  • #8
    Master Coder
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,682
    Thanks
    436
    Thanked 890 Times in 879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tfit View Post
    No, no, it isn't torture. In fact i'm doing you a favour. .
    two favour, first is that look great, second is that probably only few people can see this now,

    Anyway, it still isn't finished, but I need some feedback on the fonts used. I'm a bit stuck. Before I really can move forward I need some confirmation that the fonts used are legible. Ok, I warned you .
    You can see for yourself:
    http://allofunix.homeunix.com:8080/pilot.pdf
    bad idea with this pdf:
    - ArialMT, Verdana-Bold, Verdana-Italic, Verdana, that's the information
    which pdffonts can give me
    - probably Scribus preserve your intention, about fonts, but using xpdf
    to view the file render how it can,
    - gs see fonts as NimbusSansL-Regular

    contrast between text and background is ok but will depend on font size,
    on smaller font kerning disipear and will be hard to read. I guess that zooming
    the page in or out will ruin the way it looks now.

    This is great for a printable media but will be very hard to accomplice
    same visual effect in a web page, cross-browsers and on different devices and at
    different screen resolution and depth.
    In order to make an impression I must see a web page with this design, to see
    what solution you find for different problems and how this can work in a
    different context then yours.

    best regards

  • Users who have thanked oesxyl for this post:

    tfit (09-01-2008)

  • #9
    New Coder
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    80
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oesxyl View Post
    two favour, first is that look great, second is that probably only few people can see this now,


    bad idea with this pdf:
    - ArialMT, Verdana-Bold, Verdana-Italic, Verdana, that's the information
    which pdffonts can give me
    - probably Scribus preserve your intention, about fonts, but using xpdf
    to view the file render how it can,
    - gs see fonts as NimbusSansL-Regular

    contrast between text and background is ok but will depend on font size,
    on smaller font kerning disipear and will be hard to read. I guess that zooming
    the page in or out will ruin the way it looks now.

    This is great for a printable media but will be very hard to accomplice
    same visual effect in a web page, cross-browsers and on different devices and at
    different screen resolution and depth.
    In order to make an impression I must see a web page with this design, to see
    what solution you find for different problems and how this can work in a
    different context then yours.

    best regards
    Thank you, thank you for the feedback. Yes, the font type is my main concern. I never realized how much impact it has on appearances. It will be strictly an e-zine.
    I looked at Nimbus but most of them will be subset and it didn't look great. Or maybe it was i forgot to include them!? Have to look in that again. About, the zooming: my intent it should be there. There shouldn't be any need to zoom in. I have to look in that too, to see if screen resolutions can be set. Thanks again

  • #10
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lost in Localhost...
    Posts
    702
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 43 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tfit View Post
    Thank you, thank you for the feedback. Yes, the font type is my main concern. I never realized how much impact it has on appearances. It will be strictly an e-zine.
    I looked at Nimbus but most of them will be subset and it didn't look great. Or maybe it was i forgot to include them!? Have to look in that again. About, the zooming: my intent it should be there. There shouldn't be any need to zoom in. I have to look in that too, to see if screen resolutions can be set. Thanks again
    Please remember that most people who have Linux DON'T have Windows fonts.
    It may look good for you but other people may experience problems.
    But I think it looks good.

  • #11
    Master Coder
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,682
    Thanks
    436
    Thanked 890 Times in 879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millenia View Post
    Please remember that most people who have Linux DON'T have Windows fonts.
    It may look good for you but other people may experience problems.
    But I think it looks good.
    yes agree, same thing about *nix fonts on windows.

    Quote Originally Posted by tfit View Post
    Thank you, thank you for the feedback. Yes, the font type is my main concern. I never realized how much impact it has on appearances. It will be strictly an e-zine.
    I looked at Nimbus but most of them will be subset and it didn't look great. Or maybe it was i forgot to include them!? Have to look in that again. About, the zooming: my intent it should be there. There shouldn't be any need to zoom in. I have to look in that too, to see if screen resolutions can be set. Thanks again
    I don't suggest Nimbus, that was what ghostscript used when I look at document. If browser, editor or any tool don't find the font you used then it render whith what it have local. I think this link can help:

    http://alvit.de/handbook/#fonts

    about zoom, screen resolution and window size. You can't modify user setings and probably you don't want because is unpleasent for user. You must deal with screen from 800x1024 to 1600x... last one is 2 times wider then first. If you consider that on large screens users don't have browser window full screen you get a full pixel nightmair.
    When the page is larger/smaller then the window some user tend to zoom out/in but this can break the layout. This will explain better then I can do and give some solutions:

    http://www.stopdesign.com/log/2005/0...om-layout.html

    best regards

  • #12
    New Coder
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    80
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Millenia,

    No, no. this pdf was made om windows platform. And I know i have the minimal fonts installed so I guess it wouldn't give too much problems. Thanks for the feedback.

    oesxyl,

    When you say bad. Do you mean the use of arial or the mixing of fonts. I thought i changed everything to verdana. Must have missed something there. Someone give me the tip for using luxi sans and I'm still looking for them.

  • #13
    Master Coder
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,682
    Thanks
    436
    Thanked 890 Times in 879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tfit View Post
    Millenia,

    No, no. this pdf was made om windows platform. And I know i have the minimal fonts installed so I guess it wouldn't give too much problems. Thanks for the feedback.

    oesxyl,

    When you say bad. Do you mean the use of arial or the mixing of fonts. I thought i changed everything to verdana. Must have missed something there. Someone give me the tip for using luxi sans and I'm still looking for them.
    sorry, is my fault, I was talking about a web page. I converted now the pdf to postscript and I will be back with some comments.

    best regards

  • #14
    Master Coder
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,682
    Thanks
    436
    Thanked 890 Times in 879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tfit View Post
    Millenia,

    No, no. this pdf was made om windows platform. And I know i have the minimal fonts installed so I guess it wouldn't give too much problems. Thanks for the feedback.

    oesxyl,

    When you say bad. Do you mean the use of arial or the mixing of fonts. I thought i changed everything to verdana. Must have missed something there. Someone give me the tip for using luxi sans and I'm still looking for them.
    it's a e-zine, I miss that and therefor my previous comments have less sense. When I said bad I was talking about posting a pdf,
    No, mixing fonts is not bad, pdf can embed fonts and this way different platform are not a problem as far as document is a valid pdf. Screen resolution/depth are not critic and zoom not a big problem.
    About fonts, it's more easy then in a web page, Not easy to choose but you have a lot of option, . Arial Black Regular, Century Schoolbook, Curier, Georgia, Times New Roman, URW Bookman. I like URW Bookman and Curier but this is my opinion.

    I put two screenshots of the first page and two messages given by gs and pdfinfo here:

    http://sort-of.homelinux.org/tift/index.html

    - one screenshot is for gs, second for xpdf. The problem is that in gs look different then xpdf, I don't know yet why. I use css to resize in page, so you can see details with 'view image'.
    - gs warning could come from different setting for gs and scribus about Acrobat version, I must check this. You generate pdf for Acrobat 5.0?
    - ArialMT is not embeded but I guess that this stand for Arial Mingti2L Big5 Reguler and I guess also that scribus load setting fonts for page at start-up, look to scribus settings for your template

    best regards
    Last edited by oesxyl; 09-01-2008 at 03:15 PM.

  • #15
    New Coder
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    80
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oesxyl View Post
    it's a e-zine, I miss that and therefor my previous comments have less sense. When I said bad I was talking about posting a pdf,
    No, mixing fonts is not bad, pdf can embed fonts and this way different platform are not a problem as far as document is a valid pdf. Screen resolution/depth are not critic and zoom not a big problem.
    About fonts, it's more easy then in a web page, Not easy to choose but you have a lot of option, . Arial Black Regular, Century Schoolbook, Curier, Georgia, Times New Roman, URW Bookman. I like URW Bookman and Curier but this is my opinion.

    I put two screenshots of the first page and two messages given by gs and pdfinfo here:

    http://sort-of.homelinux.org/tift/index.html

    - one screenshot is for gs, second for xpdf. The problem is that in gs look different then xpdf, I don't know yet why. I use css to resize in page, so you can see details with 'view image'.
    - gs warning could come from different setting for gs and scribus about Acrobat version, I must check this. You generate pdf for Acrobat 5.0?
    - ArialMT is not embeded but I guess that this stand for Arial Mingti2L Big5 Reguler and I guess also that scribus load setting fonts for page at start-up, look to scribus settings for your template

    best regards
    The gsview is definitely wrong. It should be the other one. I started with times than arial and it looked bad as i forgot to include them. I changed everything to verdana, but i see i still have some arial floating around.
    Isn't dyndns a nice solution
    Yes from acrobat 5 onward as I use Transparency.
    Last edited by tfit; 09-02-2008 at 06:59 PM.


  •  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •