Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    New to the CF scene
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    z-index driving me crazy

    Hey guys, I need some help with my site.

    its www.discretefx.com

    That white arrow thing on the left side.. I need it to be under the navigation and logo. How can i achieve this effect without also having is go under the main content? It is one piece and I would prefer not to split it into 2 images..ive been messing with z-indexes but I dont think i understand how they work cuz theyre having no effect....

    much appreciated
    Last edited by techtalk; 03-02-2012 at 02:31 AM.

  • #2
    Master Coder Excavator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    9,749
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,822 Posts
    Hello techtalk,
    Try it like this once -
    Code:
    header div#logo {
        background: inherit;
        height: 86px;
        margin-bottom: 20px;
        margin-left: 53px;
        position: relative;
        width: 214px;
        z-index: 1;
    }
    nav {
        background-image: -moz-linear-gradient(center top , #6482AD 0pt, #3B557E 45px);
        border-radius: 3px 3px 3px 3px;
        box-shadow: 0 1px 2px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.5), 0 0 1px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.2) inset;
        height: 35px;
        position: relative;
        width: 1045px;
        z-index: 1;
    }
    Validate often DURING development - Use it like a splelchecker | Debug during Development |Write it for FireFox, ignore IE
    Use the right DocType | Validate your markup | Validate your CSS | Why validating is good | Why tables are bad

  • #3
    New to the CF scene
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Excavator View Post
    Hello techtalk,
    Try it like this once -
    Code:
    header div#logo {
        background: inherit;
        height: 86px;
        margin-bottom: 20px;
        margin-left: 53px;
        position: relative;
        width: 214px;
        z-index: 1;
    }
    nav {
        background-image: -moz-linear-gradient(center top , #6482AD 0pt, #3B557E 45px);
        border-radius: 3px 3px 3px 3px;
        box-shadow: 0 1px 2px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.5), 0 0 1px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.2) inset;
        height: 35px;
        position: relative;
        width: 1045px;
        z-index: 1;
    }
    Sweet! thanks man that worked beautifully

    So what is it with these z-index... do they have no effect unless the positioning is relative or something?

  • #4
    New to the CF scene
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I noticed, at least in Chrome, that the Solutions drop-down, when your carousel reaches the third item, goes under the text. Check the screenshot to see it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails z-index driving me crazy-google-chrome.jpg  

  • #5
    New to the CF scene
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by techtalk View Post
    Sweet! thanks man that worked beautifully

    So what is it with these z-index... do they have no effect unless the positioning is relative or something?
    Yes, z-index works only when position is set to relative.

  • #6
    New to the CF scene
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    I noticed, at least in Chrome, that the Solutions drop-down, when your carousel reaches the third item, goes under the text. Check the screenshot to see it.
    thanks for pointing that out.


  •  

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •