Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    356
    Thanks
    143
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Idea: Online Resolution and Browser Emulator for Web Designers

    There should be some online emulation utility to allow web designers like you and me to test our sites across a range of resolutions and browsers. Normally the latter can easily be achieved by downloading a range of browers and testing them directly, but there is no way to test resolution, which often leaves web designers unaware of design flaws which weren't anticipated.

    Edit: Also to test variable web colour support.

    Exists there a utility already that I have overlooked?
    Last edited by ptrcao; 12-12-2010 at 11:25 PM.

  • #2
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    133
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ptrcao View Post
    There should be some online emulation utility to allow web designers like you and me to test our sites across a range of resolutions and browsers. Normally the latter can easily be achieved by downloading a range of browers and testing them directly, but there is no way to test resolution, which often leaves web designers unaware of design flaws which weren't anticipated.

    Edit: Also to test variable web colour support.

    Exists such a utility already that I have overlooked?
    the "Restore Down" button at the top right
    Resize your window to "test" what your website looks like at other resolutions. Thats what I do at least...
    I do it in IE and FF, the 2 major browsers that I just happen to have on my computer.
    Though I understand that a standardized testing method would be much easier for the designers.
    Why don't you make a website that lets people test their code in a range of browsers and resolutions?

  • #3
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    356
    Thanks
    143
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by njfail View Post
    the "Restore Down" button at the top right
    Resize your window to "test" what your website looks like at other resolutions. Thats what I do at least...
    I do it in IE and FF, the 2 major browsers that I just happen to have on my computer.
    Though I understand that a standardized testing method would be much easier for the designers.
    Why don't you make a website that lets people test their code in a range of browsers and resolutions?
    That was obvious I guess it makes me look a tad silly now. Ok, I'll redeem myself my emphasising other aspects which can't be tested by simple means like resizing your browser. Like web colour support, etc. Or are they too easily tested by means right under our noses?

    Edit: Well it is a bit awkward though having to estimate pixels across the screen, now that I think about it and you're right, some standardised method, perhaps even side-by-side comparisons and a statistics centre on web user hardware and software would be handy.
    Last edited by ptrcao; 12-12-2010 at 11:31 PM.

  • #4
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    356
    Thanks
    143
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by njfail View Post
    Why don't you make a website that lets people test their code in a range of browsers and resolutions?
    Hehe. Beyond my know-how!

  • #5
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    356
    Thanks
    143
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Is there are simple free utility or script or whatever which can allow you to collect info on users' browsers for your website?

  • #6
    The fat guy next door VIPStephan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Halle (Saale), Germany
    Posts
    8,702
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 1,011 Times in 984 Posts
    In Firefox there is the web developer toolbar extension which has a button to resize the browser to a pre-defined resolution (by you). Also there is the option to display the window size in the title. Note, however, that screen resolution doesn’t tell you much about the user’s preferred browser window size. They don’t necessarily have their windows in full screen mode.

    For for the “simple utility script or whatever which can allow you to collect info on users' browsers for your website” have a look at StatCounter.

  • Users who have thanked VIPStephan for this post:

    ptrcao (12-13-2010)

  • #7
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    133
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ptrcao View Post
    Is there are simple free utility or script or whatever which can allow you to collect info on users' browsers for your website?
    I've heard of such things, but I've never actually found one.
    It would be quite interested to know though!
    You would be able to resize your window to whatever the majority of your users are using, and be able to see the site as they see it.

  • #8
    Regular Coder Donkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Blackfield UK
    Posts
    312
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 36 Times in 36 Posts
    There is a free stats package called sitemeter which tracks browser share, resolution share etc for your site. When you have set it up and after a few weeks you have some history go to the summary page and just click on monitor resolution at the bottom of the page.
    " 90% of everything is crud" - Theodore Sturgeon
    Filthy Beast - a 60's Rock Band


  •  

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •