Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    206
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    IE & Firefox design

    I have noticed that certain HTML tags that work in IE do not Firefox as they use a different code.

    Does anyone know of a website that lists how to code for both browsers when the HTML tags are different.

    One example is the <ALT> for tooltips in IE do not work in Firefox.

    Many thanks in advance

  • #2
    Supreme Master coder! abduraooft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    14,866
    Thanks
    160
    Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,211 Posts
    alt is not a tag, it's just an attribute of img, to display alternate text in the absence of an image.
    Some of the problems are listed at http://www.quirksmode.org/
    Last edited by abduraooft; 04-03-2008 at 01:37 PM.
    The Dream is not what you see in sleep; Dream is the thing which doesn't let you sleep. --(Dr. APJ. Abdul Kalam)

  • #3
    The fat guy next door VIPStephan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Halle (Saale), Germany
    Posts
    8,932
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 1,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chartwise View Post
    One example is the <ALT> for tooltips in IE do not work in Firefox.
    And it might be hard for you to believe but what Firefox does is actually correct and IE is wrong (as in most cases) because the alt attribute is not intended to display a tooltip, it's made to show alternative text that clearly explains the content of the image in case images can't be displayed for any reason (device not supporting images, etc.).

    If you want a tooltip you need to use the title attribute as that's exactly made to give an element (any element) a title which will usually be displayed as a tooltip. And that's the correct way to use it.

    But be aware: the alt attribute for images is still mandatory, you can't just replace alt with title. You can leave the value for alt empty if there's no need for a description but the attribute itself is always mandatory.

  • #4
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    206
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abduraooft View Post
    alt is not a tag, it's just an attribute of img, to display alternate text in the absence of an image.
    Some of the problems are listed at http://www.quirksmode.org/
    MAny Thanks

  • #5
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    206
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VIPStephan View Post
    And it might be hard for you to believe but what Firefox does is actually correct and IE is wrong (as in most cases) because the alt attribute is not intended to display a tooltip, it's made to show alternative text that clearly explains the content of the image in case images can't be displayed for any reason (device not supporting images, etc.).

    If you want a tooltip you need to use the title attribute as that's exactly made to give an element (any element) a title which will usually be displayed as a tooltip. And that's the correct way to use it.

    But be aware: the alt attribute for images is still mandatory, you can't just replace alt with title. You can leave the value for alt empty if there's no need for a description but the attribute itself is always mandatory.
    Many Thanks


  •  

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •