Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: CF Chat??

  1. #1
    Regular Coder Deacon Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Between the Lines
    Posts
    279
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    CF Chat??

    Like, browser chat, IRCd, something?

    It'd be pretty nice to have for those of us who lurk in chat rooms :P.

    EDIT:

    <Shawn> Tell them you have a server etc
    <Deacon> kk
    <Deacon> how does dns for irc work tho? do they have to pay any extra?
    <Shawn> no
    <Shawn> they make an a record
    <Shawn> pointing to this ip
    <Shawn> port 6667


    WA: Shawn (the owner of the ghostsnet server) says he's willing to talk with you about this :P. The server has fantastic up-time, it's already pretty self-maintained with several capable IRCops, C coders, and mIRC scripters. All you'd need is:

    <Shawn> whoever owns the nameserver needs to do it
    <Shawn> you send a ticket to support
    <Shawn> noone charges you
    <x9> they do it for free


    So yeah, it's free, it's quick, and it could be a great addition ^.^.
    Last edited by Deacon Frost; 07-26-2009 at 03:41 AM.

  • #2
    The Apostate Apostropartheid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,215
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 265 Times in 263 Posts
    That'd be pretty cool, actually...

  • #3
    Rockstar Coder
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,074
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 328 Times in 324 Posts
    OracleGuy

  • #4
    Senior Coder gnomeontherun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    2,846
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 238 Times in 229 Posts
    So really what we need are scheduled chats.
    jeremy - gnomeontherun
    Educated questions often get educated answers, and simple questions often get simple answers.

  • #5
    The Apostate Apostropartheid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,215
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 265 Times in 263 Posts
    Weekly chats sound cool. I've met a couple of active members and most of them seem worth a conversation. There'll always be members and mods, and we can keep Spooks under check, possibly with the aid of slegehammers.

  • #6
    Master Coder
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    in my house
    Posts
    5,211
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked 201 Times in 197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyanLight View Post
    I've met a couple of active members and most of them seem worth a conversation.
    Do tell! Which one has the split personality? I can only get 0%, 50% or 100% ~ not 'most' ~from what you wrote!!

    bazz
    "The day you stop learning is the day you become obsolete"! - my late Dad.

    Why do some people say "I don't know for sure"? If they don't know for sure then, they don't know!
    Useful MySQL resource
    Useful MySQL link

  • #7
    The Apostate Apostropartheid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,215
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 265 Times in 263 Posts
    *points at one of you and hopes*

  • #8
    Regular Coder Deacon Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Between the Lines
    Posts
    279
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremywilken View Post
    So really what we need are scheduled chats.
    Well, if we had an irc, with like, a main channel, and then several help channels "php" "javascript" etc, could get pretty populated, I'd bet.

    And wouldn't just be scheduled, but generally available all the time :P

  • #9
    The Apostate Apostropartheid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,215
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 265 Times in 263 Posts
    I don't thinkkk that'd work. It'd require mods constantly, for starters. I was thinking more of a general chat, because, well, if we go chat there'd be no point in the fora, will there?

  • #10
    Regular Coder Deacon Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Between the Lines
    Posts
    279
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyanLight View Post
    I don't thinkkk that'd work. It'd require mods constantly, for starters. I was thinking more of a general chat, because, well, if we go chat there'd be no point in the fora, will there?
    You'd be surprised :P. IRC's work very well, with people who are capable. And generally, bots do most of the work with things like flood prevention, spam protection, etc. Not to mention, IRC hops/op/admins/owners are different than forums, because there are certain users you trust just enough to operate a channel, but don't trust enough to run a forum :P.

    And, the point of the forum will still exist. A lot of it can be used to get chat help from several people in a channel at once by simply linking to a thread you just posted. IRC's generally increase activity, as well, because of the interactivity. Lurking in an IRC is easier than lurking on a forum, because you don't really have to click to refresh, and such. So if someone posts a link, a bunch of people in the IRC will click it, and then you'll see a good 2-3 lines of people logged into the forum at once.

    They're usually quite the addition :P, and are easy to run.


    An IRC is just like a general chat room, but with several more options, and is easier to organize and such. :P.

  • #11
    The Apostate Apostropartheid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,215
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 265 Times in 263 Posts
    I guess. I would still be hesitant, though. Maybe a trial version based on one of our busier forums would be a good idea, HTML & CSS or PHP would be suitable, kick some of the mods into it. What do you think, WA?

  • #12
    Regular Coder BoldUlysses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Posts
    938
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 190 Times in 187 Posts
    I'm down.
    matt | design | blog

  • #13
    Rockstar Coder
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,074
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 328 Times in 324 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon Frost View Post
    Well, if we had an irc, with like, a main channel, and then several help channels "php" "javascript" etc, could get pretty populated, I'd bet.

    And wouldn't just be scheduled, but generally available all the time :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon Frost View Post
    And, the point of the forum will still exist. A lot of it can be used to get chat help from several people in a channel at once by simply linking to a thread you just posted. IRC's generally increase activity, as well, because of the interactivity. Lurking in an IRC is easier than lurking on a forum, because you don't really have to click to refresh, and such. So if someone posts a link, a bunch of people in the IRC will click it, and then you'll see a good 2-3 lines of people logged into the forum at once.
    No, as discussed before that would be an entirely BAD idea. Because then people would just stop bothering to post questions and answers on the forums. Then that defeats the whole point of the forum, people couldn't search for questions already asked. Or they might get a lot of posts that don't have any answers because the answers were given in IRC.

    The only way chat would work is if there were scheduled chats and perhaps a chosen topic for the session. Otherwise there isn't much of a point when if you want to shoot the breeze you can use the active members lounge.
    OracleGuy

  • #14
    Regular Coder Deacon Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Between the Lines
    Posts
    279
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oracleguy View Post
    No, as discussed before that would be an entirely BAD idea. Because then people would just stop bothering to post questions and answers on the forums. Then that defeats the whole point of the forum, people couldn't search for questions already asked. Or they might get a lot of posts that don't have any answers because the answers were given in IRC.

    The only way chat would work is if there were scheduled chats and perhaps a chosen topic for the session. Otherwise there isn't much of a point when if you want to shoot the breeze you can use the active members lounge.

    I fail to see how that would be the case?

    For several reasons:

    1. A lot of members assist greatly in the way of code. Something as little as a few changes, or as great as completely writing the code for someone... You need somewhere to paste it. It's only logical to paste it in the thread. You could pastebin it, but no real reason to, if you're already linked to the thread. You could offer general advice in the IRC, yes, but most people who are capable would prefer typing out longer answers, and such, on a forum, and just using the irc for tidbits of trouble shooting that really don't matter for archives.

    2. You can't get reputation, thanks, or anything like that in the IRC. This, in itself, is reason to post. Which keeps people posting on the forums. A lot of CF doesn't just use the site for help, but rather to help people. And that small bit of appreciation keeps them coming back, or at least it seems like it. Not to mention, it helps those who help become even better in their practices.

    3. The forums are still fantastic for searching for help, posting new threads, etc. Just because an IRC exists, doesn't mean the forum would die. Not only this, but I bet the IRC doesn't get more than maybe 50 - 60 active people, and maybe 30 lurkers at max. The forum has 12k active members... The IRC will not triumph over those numbers... It never happens.

    Now, the IRC is a good idea because:

    1. The forums aren't great for general chatting, to be honest. A lot of learning can take place in an IRC, just by listening to people talk. You pick up the attitude, you get to interact, and such. Something that is, plain and simple, not that easy to achieve on a forum for strict business. You basically learn the personality of different people, and that can help you greatly develop as a programmer.

    2. The amount of things possible in the forum is limited based on its inactivity. Don't get me wrong, I love CF, but it really sucks to wait for a long while for a reply, even though it's generally necessary. IRC's are proven to increase activity of forums, through sheer interactiveness.

    3. Sometimes, you just want a quick freaking answer and don't want to post a thread -.-. Let's face it, a majority of users do not browse the forums for answers, they post their thread, and read their thread for convenience. Having a quick way to throw a question to a number of people who know what they're talking about without creating a thread, waiting for a reply, etc, is very handy.

    <Mike> How do I make something centered in CSS?
    // 5 seconds later
    <John> margin:0 auto;
    Which is quicker than a thread which can take anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes for a simple reply, just waiting for someone to see the thread :P.



    They balance themselves out, and it's no question that IRC's do in fact work. A scheduled chat, though useful, isn't a permanent chat which could be even more useful, and present much more opportunity for the CF community

  • #15
    Senior Coder gnomeontherun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    2,846
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 238 Times in 229 Posts
    The reason I think it might work is that I think several of the most active members are online or at least have CF open most of the day. That being said, if the active members don't step up, it will fail to do anything other than a lot of new members saying "HI I need..." and little help given. There will be members who love it and some who loath it, I personally would pop in from time to time but not use it a lot as my time on CF is frequent but brief during any given visit.

    Of course it might inspire some other members to be more active on the chat that aren't on the forum because of the different medium, but I imagine it would likely cause lower quality support. When you post to a board, what you say is semi-permanent and others can easily see, so you are less likely to post unless you know what you are talking about. In a chat room, its a limited number of people who can see and it has limited lifespan, so the quality of the information is not as important.

    Also, the biggest negative to this I see is that all advice and discussion will be lost after each session. So it really only would be for fun or simple questions that take less than 2 sentences to answer. Yes you can link to a post, but there could be a lot of people who come in thinking this is like real live tech support too.

    Any reason why Deacon can't just make a test channel, maybe at a given time span, to test and post a message somewhere that regular users should find it easy? I like the idea of it just to see what the members may or may not do with it.
    Last edited by gnomeontherun; 07-26-2009 at 11:01 AM.
    jeremy - gnomeontherun
    Educated questions often get educated answers, and simple questions often get simple answers.


  •  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •