Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    WA
    WA is offline
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    2,596
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts

    Big Brother wants you!

    Are you a knowledgeable CF member that loves helping out others and have the time to back it up? Well, CF wants you! It's the New Years, and a number of forum categories now are sitting moderator free or could use additional oversight, due to the retirement of some mods. Some of the forum categories that Big Brother needs help on are:

    - Perl/ CGI
    - Ruby & Ruby On Rails
    - Other server side languages/ issues (includes ColdFusion and Python right now)
    - Computer Programming
    - Computer/PC discussions
    - Web Projects (includes numerous related sub forums)

    As a mod you should be knowledgeable in the forum you wish to moderate, plus see yourself as mature and professional in dealing with issues between members etc.. The role of a CF mod is changing I'd say compared to a few years ago, and nowadays what's really important is that you're passionate about the forum topic in question, and love to help out members with their programming questions. A resident expert so to speak. The days of a mod's main role being dealing with spam and disputes between members are definitely on the decline.

    If you fit that bill and love to contribute to CF, please let me know! We need a few good men to answer the call! You can reply here or pm me with your interest/ why you think you're up to it etc. You're not limited to the above forums when it comes to the available forums that need more men.
    - George
    - JavaScript Kit- JavaScript tutorials and 400+ scripts!
    - JavaScript Reference- JavaScript reference you can relate to.

  • #2
    $object->toCD-R(LP); vinyl-junkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,092
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WA View Post
    If you fit that bill and love to contribute to CF, please let me know! We need a few good men to answer the call! You can reply here or pm me with your interest/ why you think you're up to it etc. You're not limited to the above forums when it comes to the available forums that need more men.
    Erm, surely we need a few good women too?
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more
    SNAP to it!

  • #3
    Senior Coder rafiki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Floating around somewhere...
    Posts
    2,046
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
    no luck in the php forum yet?

    Rafiki

  • #4
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Southern tip of Silicon Valley
    Posts
    2,877
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 164 Times in 159 Posts
    I noticed some time ago that my favorite category, Perl, was missing a moderator and often considered offering to fill that spot, but never did, so here I am offering. I'll let my record of postings attest to my qualifications.

  • #5
    Super Moderator JohnDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    634
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
    WA, I PMed you yesterday with my info. Just FYI.

  • #6
    teh Moderatorinator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,472
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 40 Times in 40 Posts
    I had to put in a down payment and join a waiting list to become a mod Not to mention trying to get approval from spook...

  • #7
    Master Coder
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Umeå, Sweden
    Posts
    5,575
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 83 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandoe85 View Post
    I had to put in a down payment and join a waiting list to become a mod Not to mention trying to get approval from spook...
    Yes, the real problem lies in getting Spook to admit you. I still have burns on my left foot from that acid he poured onto it when trying to see if I was worthy.
    liorean <[lio@wg]>
    Articles: RegEx evolt wsabstract , Named Arguments
    Useful Threads: JavaScript Docs & Refs, FAQ - HTML & CSS Docs, FAQ - XML Doc & Refs
    Moz: JavaScript DOM Interfaces MSDN: JScript DHTML KDE: KJS KHTML Opera: Standards

  • #8
    Super Moderator JohnDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    634
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
    I would like to point out that I dedicated my 100th post to Spook quite awhile back. That pretty much makes me a shoo-in.

    http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?t=108042

  • #9
    Supreme Overlord Spookster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Marion, IA USA
    Posts
    6,278
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 83 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDubya View Post
    I would like to point out that I dedicated my 100th post to Spook quite awhile back. That pretty much makes me a shoo-in.

    http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?t=108042
    Hmmm a shoo in. that gives me an idea. Muahahahaha!!!!!!!!!
    Spookster
    CodingForums Supreme Overlord
    All Hail Spookster

  • #10
    Supreme Overlord Spookster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Marion, IA USA
    Posts
    6,278
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 83 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liorean View Post
    Yes, the real problem lies in getting Spook to admit you. I still have burns on my left foot from that acid he poured onto it when trying to see if I was worthy.
    That was just so you could run circles around the herd of members.
    Spookster
    CodingForums Supreme Overlord
    All Hail Spookster

  • #11
    WA
    WA is offline
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    2,596
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
    Ok, I've pmed all the "qualifying" members regarding their interest. I'll wait to upgrade these members all at once in the next few days. The following 3 categories still don't have any takers:

    Other server side languages/ issues (includes ColdFusion and Python right now)
    Computer Programming
    Computer/PC discussions

    So if you're a good citizen of CF, don't have a job and could use our extensive health care, free education, generous cash allowances plus hands on training that's useful where ever you go in life, pm me!
    - George
    - JavaScript Kit- JavaScript tutorials and 400+ scripts!
    - JavaScript Reference- JavaScript reference you can relate to.

  • #12
    Rockstar Coder
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,074
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 328 Times in 324 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WA View Post
    Ok, I've pmed all the "qualifying" members regarding their interest. I'll wait to upgrade these members all at once in the next few days. The following 3 categories still don't have any takers:

    Other server side languages/ issues (includes ColdFusion and Python right now)
    Computer Programming
    Computer/PC discussions

    So if you're a good citizen of CF, don't have a job and could use our extensive health care, free education, generous cash allowances plus hands on training that's useful where ever you go in life, pm me!
    I assume you will let the existing staffers know who you are planning on promoting before you do it so that we can prepare the proper initiation rituals, right?
    OracleGuy

  • #13
    Super Moderator JohnDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    634
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oracleguy View Post
    I assume you will let the existing staffers know who you are planning on promoting before you do it so that we can prepare the proper initiation rituals, right?
    Initiation rituals????

    *JohnDubya begins perusing the site looking for the "Withdraw Application" button*

  • #14
    Senior Coder
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,879
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 65 Times in 56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oracleguy View Post
    I assume you will let the existing staffers know who you are planning on promoting before you do it so that we can prepare the proper initiation rituals, right?
    Dang…I wish someone would have told me or else I wouldn't have thrown out the electric cattle prodder from last year. Oh well, I'll just have to suck it up and buy a new one…

  • #15
    Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Hayward, CA
    Posts
    1,461
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmedek View Post
    Dang…I wish someone would have told me or else I wouldn't have thrown out the electric cattle prodder from last year. Oh well, I'll just have to suck it up and buy a new one…
    Obviously, I still haven't fully "indoctrinated" you yet... how many times do we have to tell you, save everything, and back it up...
    "The first step to confirming there is a bug in someone else's work is confirming there are no bugs in your own."
    June 30, 2001
    author, Verbosio prototype XML Editor
    author, JavaScript Developer's Dictionary
    https://alexvincent.us/blog


  •  

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •