Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 56

Thread: Wireless-G

  1. #1
    Regular Coder thesmart1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    369
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Wireless-G

    Do Wireless-G routers support sharing files between computers?

  • #2
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    258
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Yes, in fact, the router is the easy part. Getting your OS to do it can sometimes be tricky. Put everything on the shared folder, use the same Workgroup name, tweak the firewalls, and away you go.

  • #3
    Regular Coder thesmart1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    369
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I have a Belkin 54g router. I called Belkin and they said that their router doen't support sharing files between computers or sharing my printer (an Epson Stylus CX6400).

    For future reference (if/when I get a router that supports file and printer sharing), how would I create a workgroup in Windows XP? And by "tweak the firewalls", do you mean create an exception for File and Printer Sharing? (The only firewall I have is Windows Firewall, unless Norton blocks it, too)

  • #4
    Supreme Master coder! _Aerospace_Eng_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    In a place far, far away...
    Posts
    19,291
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 1,019 Posts
    I'm going to say Belkin doesn't know know what they are talking. The router acts as a cross over cable. As daniel said put the files you want in a shared folder then you will need to setup a home network. If both systems are XP then it will be quite easy. MS has an article on this http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...g/default.mspx
    I would give your network a unique name just in case some how others are listening in on the wireless connection. You do have your wireless router encrypted don't you?
    ||||If you are getting paid to do a job, don't ask for help on it!||||

  • #5
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    258
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Can you be more specific about the model of the belkin? I know sometimes, some cable companies(at least here on the east coast of the US), tell costumers the last of lies to get them to buy their own equipment and pay a monthly fee for networking. Even if whatever they told you came from Belkin and not your ISP I still have my doubts.

    If you only have Norton and Windows firewall, you should be fine. First open Windows Explorer, look for a folder called Documents which is most of the time here: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents

    Right click that folder, and click on properties.
    On the Sharing tab, check "Share this folder on the network".
    Click Apply. Windows Firewall should have been automatically configured to allow you to share, but just in case, click on "View your Windows Firewall Settings", select the exception tab and look for "File and Printer Sharing". Make sure the square is checked. Click Apply on all the stuff you oppened and then OK.

    Then look for a "My Computer" icon. Sometimes its on the desktop, sometimes is on the start bar. right click it and select Properties.
    Go to the tab that says Computer Name.
    Click Network ID, and let the setup do the rest. Reboot.
    Open MyComputer properties again, and under Computer Name click Change(to rename computer...)
    Give your computer a nice name if it doesn't have one already, and give a name to your workgroup.

    The Workgroup name on all computers must be the same in order for everything to work.

    Windows XP Home is known to have this bug that will sometimes not let you see the other computers on the network, much less share printer. XP pro doesn't have that problem(As far as I know).

  • #6
    Regular Coder thesmart1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    369
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by _Aerospace_Eng_
    I'm going to say Belkin doesn't know know what they are talking. The router acts as a cross over cable. As daniel said put the files you want in a shared folder then you will need to setup a home network. If both systems are XP then it will be quite easy. MS has an article on this http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...g/default.mspx
    I would give your network a unique name just in case some how others are listening in on the wireless connection. You do have your wireless router encrypted don't you?
    The router came with a setup disk to set up the network. Yesterday, I tried running the Network Setup Wizard and the Wireless Network Setup Wizard on both computers. All that did was override the settings made with the Belkin setup, leaving the laptop with no Internet connection. And I have my network protected with WPA.

    Quote Originally Posted by daniel_g
    Can you be more specific about the model of the belkin? I know sometimes, some cable companies(at least here on the east coast of the US), tell costumers the last of lies to get them to buy their own equipment and pay a monthly fee for networking. Even if whatever they told you came from Belkin and not your ISP I still have my doubts.

    If you only have Norton and Windows firewall, you should be fine. First open Windows Explorer, look for a folder called Documents which is most of the time here: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents

    Right click that folder, and click on properties.
    On the Sharing tab, check "Share this folder on the network".
    Click Apply. Windows Firewall should have been automatically configured to allow you to share, but just in case, click on "View your Windows Firewall Settings", select the exception tab and look for "File and Printer Sharing". Make sure the square is checked. Click Apply on all the stuff you oppened and then OK.

    Then look for a "My Computer" icon. Sometimes its on the desktop, sometimes is on the start bar. right click it and select Properties.
    Go to the tab that says Computer Name.
    Click Network ID, and let the setup do the rest. Reboot.
    Open MyComputer properties again, and under Computer Name click Change(to rename computer...)
    Give your computer a nice name if it doesn't have one already, and give a name to your workgroup.

    The Workgroup name on all computers must be the same in order for everything to work.

    Windows XP Home is known to have this bug that will sometimes not l et you see the other computers on the network, much less share printer. XP pro doesn't have that problem(As far as I know).
    I don't think Belkin, or any company for that matter, would lie when telling you that their product can do almost nothing. I'd be skeptical if they said something like, "Oh, it can do anything--share folders, printers, your entire hard drive if you wanted it to. And you may not have noticed it, but it also triples the speed of your Internet. " ...very skeptical
    And the Network ID button is grayed out.

    Belkin also said they don't support our printer (Epson Stylus CX6400). They said I'd need a print server. What exactly is a print server?
    Last edited by thesmart1; 07-26-2006 at 05:03 PM.

  • #7
    Supreme Master coder! _Aerospace_Eng_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    In a place far, far away...
    Posts
    19,291
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 1,019 Posts
    Have you tried any of the suggestions we've given you? Having a router is just like having a cable connected from one computer to the other. You don't need a print server, you just need to be in the same workgroup. Pay attention to what we are telling you, answers are staring at you.
    ||||If you are getting paid to do a job, don't ask for help on it!||||

  • #8
    Regular Coder thesmart1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    369
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    How do I set up a workgroup? Do I do what daniel_g said? Because I tried that and I can't click Network ID (it's grayed out).

    I talked to Epson: they said that the printer is not compatible with any wireless routers (it is a multi-function printer). Maybe hard-wiring the laptop to the router through an ethernet cable would help?

  • #9
    Rockstar Coder
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,074
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 328 Times in 324 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmart1
    How do I set up a workgroup? Do I do what daniel_g said? Because I tried that and I can't click Network ID (it's grayed out).
    Are you logged on with admistrator privledges?
    OracleGuy

  • #10
    Regular Coder thesmart1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    369
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Yes, on both computers

  • #11
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    258
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Do you have Windows Media Center Edition, XP, or Home?
    Like I said, the OS is the hard part.
    Try this link: http://mcpmag.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?tid=2543&pn=1
    Read the last two post as they might be the answer you need if you have MCE
    Last edited by daniel_g; 07-26-2006 at 10:06 PM.

  • #12
    Regular Coder thesmart1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    369
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    XP Home on the desktop & XP Media Center on the latop

  • #13
    Supreme Master coder! _Aerospace_Eng_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    In a place far, far away...
    Posts
    19,291
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 1,019 Posts
    ||||If you are getting paid to do a job, don't ask for help on it!||||

  • #14
    Regular Coder thesmart1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    369
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Yes, but I can't even get the computers to recognize each other.

  • #15
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    258
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/m...ation/faq.mspx

    Read this:
    Can I connect a new PC running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 to a work network or domain?
    While you can access network resources on a work network or a domain, you cannot join a Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 PC to the domain. PCs running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 are designed specifically for home use. Windows XP Professional features, specifically Domain Join and Cached Credentials (Credentials Manager for logons) are not included. As a result, you will be prompted for your logon user name and password to access network resources after you reboot or log back on to the PC. In addition, file shares or network resources that are set to require a domain-joined PC for access will not be available. Remote Desktop and Encrypting File System support are still included.
    That's basically telling you that it's impossible to allow file sharing on a Media Center based computer.
    Although that might not be true. You might still be able to join a domain by doing a fresh install of the Media Center Computer. To do it, follow the link I gave you before.
    Note that I've never done that before, so I wouldn't know if it really works or not.


  •  
    Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •