Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    1st floor, 3rd door on the right side
    Posts
    77
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Question Considering Linux...

    i am in the process of buying a new computer, and actually considering installing linux as an OS instead of making gill bates even richer.

    now i have never seen or used linux in my life, so i'd appreciate if you guys could help me with a few answers:

    1- can the common desktop software be installed on linux OS? i mean things like MS office apps, photoshop, corel, antivirus, firewall ...

    2- it seems that many linux users actually use dual booting and run windows as alternative. why? if linux is as good as they say, they wouldn't need windows, would they?

    3- will it make my life a nightmare when it comes to drivers, plug&play, usb, ... ? or will it work as easily as windows?

    4- there are plenty of distributions. how important is the choice of one of them? does only the grafical interface differ, or do they have real differences in the programm?

    5- are there any major drawbacks i should be aware of?

    thanx a lot in advance
    fred
    Why do sheeps not shrink when it rains ?

  • #2
    Supreme Overlord Spookster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Marion, IA USA
    Posts
    6,280
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 83 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by no way
    i am in the process of buying a new computer, and actually considering installing linux as an OS instead of making gill bates even richer.

    now i have never seen or used linux in my life, so i'd appreciate if you guys could help me with a few answers:

    1- can the common desktop software be installed on linux OS? i mean things like MS office apps, photoshop, corel, antivirus, firewall ...

    2- it seems that many linux users actually use dual booting and run windows as alternative. why? if linux is as good as they say, they wouldn't need windows, would they?

    3- will it make my life a nightmare when it comes to drivers, plug&play, usb, ... ? or will it work as easily as windows?

    4- there are plenty of distributions. how important is the choice of one of them? does only the grafical interface differ, or do they have real differences in the programm?

    5- are there any major drawbacks i should be aware of?

    thanx a lot in advance
    fred

    1. Redhat Fedora comes packaged with OpenOffice which is the linux eqiuvalent to MS Office. Also comes with Gimp which is just as powerful a graphics editor as Photoshop. You don't need antivirus unless of course you want to protect Microsoft users because you could receive viruses in email and even though they can't affect your PC you could pass them on to a MS user. I feel no pity for those still using MS so I don't use AV. Comes with a built-in firewall using IPTables. Best of all everything I mentioned is free.

    2. Yes many people do. My system is dual booted with MS XP and Redhat Fedora 4. The reason is because I like to play games that were only written for Windows. There are some programs that allow you to install MS applications on Linux. WINE is one and is free. There are two others that I know of called Crossover Office which is a GUI interface to WINE but costs money. There is also a specialed program called Cedega for installing games designed for Windows and it costs money.

    3. Depends on the flavor of Linux you get. I've never had any trouble with Redhat Fedora and drivers USB included. The only thing I don't have a driver for is my printer. But that all depends on the company who makes the printer and if they choose to support linux and Canon doesn't seem to want to do that yet. Although I did find a driver that will allow me to do basic printing with it. It just doesn't take advantage of all the advanced printing options. For the most part Fedora will recognize most all hardware. There is a hardware compatibility list at their site in case you are worried about it.

    4. The difference in the flavors of linux are the kernel (the heart of the operating system) and what applications they package with the distrobution. The kernel is like the engine of a car. You can have two very similar cars with different engines. One might be more efficient or one might have more features than the other. For the average user you probably won't really notice any difference. The graphical interfaces are designed by third party organizations. The two most common ones are KDE and Gnome which both come with Fedora and you can switch between them or others that are available.

    5. Personally I don't see many drawbacks. You have a PC that will run faster than with windows and require less memory. It's very secure. Almost all apps are free. And as time passes more and more companies are supporting linux. I'd have to say that is probably the only drawback.

    You can read more information about Fedora here http://www.fedoraforum.org/

    Browse through the forum. If you ever have any questions they have probably already been asked and answered.

    You can download Fedora and all the other flavors of linux at www.linuxiso.org or also at the link in my signature.
    Spookster
    CodingForums Supreme Overlord
    All Hail Spookster

  • #3
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NYgamers.net
    Posts
    108
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If you new to Linux I HIGHLY recommend Ubuntu Linux over any others. It's much more user friendly than most distros and you can get it shipped to you for free as well. The only drawback is it's in it's infancy, but is based on Debian which has been around a few years.


  • #4
    Senior Coder NancyJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Bradford, UK
    Posts
    3,174
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 66 Times in 65 Posts
    I went on http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php the linux distro chooser, hehe, and it picked out suse and ubuntu for me. Now I'm torn between the two. Suse looks like its probably better but ubuntu has a better philosophy (you only get documentation and stuff with suse if you buy it, ubuntu will even ship you the CDs for free)
    One question though, can any linux distro network to a windows XP machine? The cable modem is plugged into my machine and my bf is networked to me, if I make the move to linux would he have to too?
    ...This is so hard, I remember the days when you really only had to choose between red hat and mandrake, now theres hundreds to choose from.

  • #5
    Rockstar Coder
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,074
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 328 Times in 324 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyJ
    One question though, can any linux distro network to a windows XP machine? The cable modem is plugged into my machine and my bf is networked to me, if I make the move to linux would he have to too?
    Are you bridging the network connections or something in Windows right now?
    OracleGuy

  • #6
    New Coder
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    1st floor, 3rd door on the right side
    Posts
    77
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    thanks spookster, i think i'll give it a try and see what happens
    Why do sheeps not shrink when it rains ?

  • #7
    Senior Coder NancyJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Bradford, UK
    Posts
    3,174
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 66 Times in 65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oracleguy
    Are you bridging the network connections or something in Windows right now?
    Hmmm, we used to be but it doesnt look like it now. I only have 2 network connections now, one to the cable modem and one to his machine. (we used windows networking wizard thing)

  • #8
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    566
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyJ
    Hmmm, we used to be but it doesnt look like it now. I only have 2 network connections now, one to the cable modem and one to his machine. (we used windows networking wizard thing)
    You will probably need to buy a 40$ router from your local tech store.
    Note: I do not test code. I just write it off the top of my head. There might be bugs in it! But if any thing I gave you the overall theory of what you need to accomplish. Also there are plenty of other ways to accomplish this same thing. I just gave one example of it. Other ways might be faster and more efficient.


  •  

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •