Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    206
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    where are they in Windows 8?

    Just seen W8 live for the first time.
    But could someone please tell me how to access the following:

    1. How to switch from Metro to get the familiar desktop as I will be using a PC without touch screen?

    2. How to switch off the damn computer?

    3. How to access Windows Explorer/Libraries?

    4. Where is the Start button?

    5. How to put shortcuts on the desktop?

    6. Where is the Show Destop icon?

    Please can someone help before I tear my hair out.
    Why didn't MS have 2 versions - one for Tablets & one for PCs/Laptops

    All help much appreciated

  • #2
    Rockstar Coder
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,074
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 328 Times in 324 Posts
    Based on all your questions over the last few weeks about Windows 8, why not just try it out inside a Virtual Machine for yourself? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...nsumer-preview

    Keep in mind since it hasn't been released the entire user interface may change between now and the RTM version. Sadly they are probably going to keep the Metro interface but aspects around it are likely to change a little bit.
    OracleGuy

  • #3
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    206
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oracleguy View Post
    Based on all your questions over the last few weeks about Windows 8, why not just try it out inside a Virtual Machine for yourself? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...nsumer-preview

    Keep in mind since it hasn't been released the entire user interface may change between now and the RTM version. Sadly they are probably going to keep the Metro interface but aspects around it are likely to change a little bit.
    I cannot use the link you sent as I'm currently on XP & Silverlight doesn't work on it.

  • #4
    Senior Coder
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    4,721
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 662 Times in 661 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chartwise View Post
    I cannot use the link you sent as I'm currently on XP & Silverlight doesn't work on it.
    You are totally wrong on this. I've used ever since I was forced to. Went to the above link and watched the promo.

  • #5
    Rockstar Coder
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,074
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 328 Times in 324 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chartwise View Post
    I cannot use the link you sent as I'm currently on XP & Silverlight doesn't work on it.
    I wasn't talking about the promo. That is the link to where you can download Windows 8, the actual operating system for free. I am suggesting you run it in a virtual machine on your computer so you can actually try Windows 8 out for yourself. That should hopefully answer a lot of your questions about where stuff is and what will and won't run on it because you could try the programs you are concerned about on it.

    I don't know how technically savvy you are so if you are unsure maybe you can get some help from a friend. If a VM sounds too complicated, you could always install it on a spare computer that doesn't have anything you care about on it. (Installing W8 will likely wipe the hard drive if you do it that way which is why I was suggesting a VM.) Failing all that, I guess you are just stuck with asking questions of the few people that have used W8 yet. Given the radical interface changes I suspect W8 might be slow at first anyways, people aren't going to be in a rush to get off Windows 7.
    OracleGuy

  • #6
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    206
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Not very technically savvy i'm afraid.

    Haven't got a clue about running a virtual machine on a computer.
    My last computer went by the wayside years ago. It was running Win98 at the time.

    I'm asking this about W8 as at the moment i'm running XP but buying a new PC at the end of the year so will have W8 installed. I at least need to know how to start it and close it.

    I didn't see a start button or a shut down button that used to come from the start menu in previous versions.

  • #7
    Senior Coder alykins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,930
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 203 Times in 202 Posts
    FWIW
    From what I have seen Windows 8 will be the bane of developers
    For you though, I would go with Windows 7. MS tends to do 'every other' as 'good releases' meaning that Windows 8 will be riddled with problems. You may not notice them if you only plan to do 'home stuff' on it but Windows 9 (or whatever they call it) when it comes out will probably be almost the same as Windows 8, but with all the bugs worked out.
    Vista = crap
    Windows 7 = Vista + additions - bugs = Super

    I code C hash-tag .Net
    Reference: W3C W3CWiki .Net Lib
    Validate: html CSS
    Debug: Chrome FireFox IE

  • #8
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    206
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Problem is that I will be buying a new PC later this year & W8 will already be pre-installed

  • #9
    Senior Coder alykins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,930
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 203 Times in 202 Posts
    Choose the option to downgrade to 7- it is worth the extra cost. Or better yet, buy it without anything on it

    I code C hash-tag .Net
    Reference: W3C W3CWiki .Net Lib
    Validate: html CSS
    Debug: Chrome FireFox IE

  • #10
    New Coder
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    34
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oracleguy View Post
    I wasn't talking about the promo. That is the link to where you can download Windows 8, the actual operating system for free. I am suggesting you run it in a virtual machine on your computer so you can actually try Windows 8 out for yourself. That should hopefully answer a lot of your questions about where stuff is and what will and won't run on it because you could try the programs you are concerned about on it.

    I don't know how technically savvy you are so if you are unsure maybe you can get some help from a friend. If a VM sounds too complicated, you could always install it on a spare computer that doesn't have anything you care about on it. (Installing W8 will likely wipe the hard drive if you do it that way which is why I was suggesting a VM.) Failing all that, I guess you are just stuck with asking questions of the few people that have used W8 yet. Given the radical interface changes I suspect W8 might be slow at first anyways, people aren't going to be in a rush to get off Windows 7.
    Is it possible actually ? I mean all of the versions of windows can be downloaded with or without proper license key, but i am asking here regarding the touch functionality of windows 8. If downloaded how could the touch functionality will be applicable in normal monitor or is it just for the sake of an overview of the OS ?

  • #11
    The Apostate Apostropartheid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,215
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 265 Times in 263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by williamxaviers View Post
    Is it possible actually ? I mean all of the versions of windows can be downloaded with or without proper license key, but i am asking here regarding the touch functionality of windows 8. If downloaded how could the touch functionality will be applicable in normal monitor or is it just for the sake of an overview of the OS ?
    It's really just stylistic. It will be just as functional on normal PCs--you do not need a touch interface to operate it.

    If you have a moderately powerful PC, you can try this guide to get Windows 8 virtualised on your machine: http://www.extremetech.com/computing...ith-virtualbox

    Windows 8 will include Hyper-V, so virtualisation of Windows XP on your new computer should be relatively trivial. If you downgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate, you will also have access to the built-in XP Mode there.

  • #12
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Florence, MS
    Posts
    486
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 33 Times in 32 Posts
    I've been using Windows 8 for a few weeks now and its relatively easy. As far as to shut it down,restart, etc. you just move your mouse to the top right hand corner of the screen then a menu appears and you click the power option. On the main screen, your desktop will be an oval that you just click and it takes you to your regular desktop screen.
    Notice: If you post a problem and it gets fixed, please remember to go back and place it as solved. ;)
    I always recommend the HEAD First series of books for learning a new coding language. ^_^

  • #13
    New Coder
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    34
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Apostropartheid View Post
    It's really just stylistic. It will be just as functional on normal PCs--you do not need a touch interface to operate it.

    If you have a moderately powerful PC, you can try this guide to get Windows 8 virtualised on your machine: http://www.extremetech.com/computing...ith-virtualbox

    Windows 8 will include Hyper-V, so virtualisation of Windows XP on your new computer should be relatively trivial. If you downgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate, you will also have access to the built-in XP Mode there.
    Hi Apostropartheid. Thanks for your concern. Actually every new version of windows excites me and since the time I have heard about windows 8, especially regarding its touch functionality, I am waiting eagerly for it. Actually I have a normal TFT screen and when I saw that it can be downloaded, I was in doubt about its touch functionality. Your provided link wikk help me to know about this one. Thanks again.


  •  

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •