Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    206
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Removed hardware by mistake

    Using the Safely Remove Hardware icon to remove a USB pen drive I accidentally clicked on the F,G drives which removed them instead

    These drive letters referred to the memory card readers.
    Could anyone please tell me how to get Windows to recognize them again?

    These drives are built in with the floppy drive (yes I know) although the floppy drive itself still works OK

    All help much appreciated

  • #2
    Rockstar Coder
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,074
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 328 Times in 324 Posts
    If you go into device manager and press the toolbar button for "scan for hardware changes" they will probably come back. Alternatively rebooting I would imagine would cause them to come back.
    OracleGuy

  • #3
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    206
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oracleguy View Post
    If you go into device manager and press the toolbar button for "scan for hardware changes" they will probably come back. Alternatively rebooting I would imagine would cause them to come back.
    Thanks but neither of these brought them back but I found that doing a System Restore has.

  • #4
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    839
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 79 Times in 77 Posts
    ☠ ☠RON☠ ☠

  • #5
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    206
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    Thanks for this info.
    I have wondered for a long time why the drive letter B is never used.
    Anyone know why?

  • #6
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    839
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 79 Times in 77 Posts
    See: What are the Windows A: and B: drives used for? Made working in DOS easier. Some "B" drives may have been a floppy and not the diskette version like the "A" drive.

    "DOS operating system designated two drives, A and B, strictly for floppy drives. Why? Because many early computers didn't have native hard drives -- they booted from Drive A, and ran applications from Drive B." Source
    Last edited by Major Payne; 12-10-2011 at 03:33 PM.
    ☠ ☠RON☠ ☠

  • Users who have thanked Major Payne for this post:

    chartwise (12-10-2011)

  • #7
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    206
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    See: What are the Windows A: and B: drives used for? Made working in DOS easier. Some "B" drives may have been a floppy and not the diskette version like the "A" drive.

    "DOS operating system designated two drives, A and B, strictly for floppy drives. Why? Because many early computers didn't have native hard drives -- they booted from Drive A, and ran applications from Drive B." Source
    Many thanks

  • #8
    Regular Coder
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    839
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 79 Times in 77 Posts
    Certainly welcome. Kinda miss the DOS days. :P
    ☠ ☠RON☠ ☠

  • #9
    New to the CF scene
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chartwise View Post
    Thanks for this info.
    I have wondered for a long time why the drive letter B is never used.
    Anyone know why?
    Letter B is actually reserved for second floppy drive. But in a networking environment, this letter can be used to map a network drive on server side script.

  • #10
    New to the CF scene
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    go to "MY Computer" properties
    click on add device if you unable to find what actually you want attach, you might click on refresh ions.
    I expects it must works........


  •  

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •